sábado, 29 de janeiro de 2011

A carta de amor


The love letter

Once there was a boy who loved a girl very much. The girl's father, however, did not like the boy and did not want their love to grow. The boy wanted to write the girl a letter,
but he was sure that the girl's father would read it first.
At last he wrote this letter to the girl.


"The great love I said I have for you
is gone, and I find my dislike for you
increases every day. When I see you,
I do not even like the way you look;
the one thing I want to do is
to look the other way. I never wanted to
marry you. Our last conversation
was very dull and in no way has
made me anxious to see you again.
You think only for yourself.
If we were married,
I know that I would find
life very difficult, and I would have no
pleasure in living with you.
I have a heart to give,
but it is not a heart
I want to give to you.
No one is more demanding or
selfish than you, and less
able to care for me
and be of help to me.
I sincerely
want you to understand that
I speak the truth.
Good-bye!
Believe me,
I do not care for you.
Please do not think
I am still your loving friend."

The girl's father read the letter. He was pleased, and then gave the letter to his daughter. The girl read the letter and was very happy. The boy still loved her!

Do you know why she was pleased? She and the boy had a secret way of writing to each other. She read only the first line of the letter, and then the third line,
and then the fifth line,
and so on, to the end of the letter.